Year of construction: desde la segunda mitad S. XVII hasta 1831
Builder: Rubin, an architect from Pesues
The church consists of a rectangular floor divided into three naves and a rectangular chancel. Rising from the roof is an impressive four-sectioned prismatic tower that was finished in the 18th century when the balustrade and the pyramidal pinnacle were added. The construction consists basically of stone with masonry buttresses. Within the church there is an image of Christ the Protector, the patron saint of local fishermen to whom they pray when they are in trouble on the waters. There is also a grand organ which dates from the beginning of the twentieth century. Martorell designed the pulpit, the altar screen of the chancel, the choir and the stained-glass windows.
The architectural context of this church stands out because of its two portals. The north doorway is framed by classical buttresses. It has a Romanesque arch between pilasters and a tympanum divided into two sections housing the modern image of San Cristóbal, sculpted by Jesus Otero, native of Santillana del Mar. On the opposite façade there is another doorway framed by the Coat of arms of the village and the Crown with an inscription that dates from 1713.
Outside the door there are two shields. The one on the right bears the Crown and the neck chain of the Order of Toisón. In another part of the shield is the Coat of Arms of Castilla, which is represented by a castle. One can also see a rampant lion, which represents the Coat of Arms of Leon. There are also lilies, which depict the House of Bourbon and the Coat of Arms of Philip II. The second shield represents the liberation of Seville as seen in the Coat of Arms of Comillas
La otra pieza armera apoya como la anterior sobre tres cabecitas, presenta una nave rompiendo la cadena de Sevilla. En el cantón superior izquierdo una torre de tres cuerpos, y en jefe, algo que no se distingue muy bien. Armas de la villa de Comillas
One of the most interesting things about the church is that it was constructed by the townspeople who put aside one day a week to work on this building. The reason it was built was because of the confrontation with the Duke of El Infantado in the ancient church that stands on the hill in front of the Dead Beach where the current cemetery is located.